Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Days 191 and 192 - Still Weathering the Storm


We had no word from Midwatch yesterday but I was comfortable that all was well, it is not easy to do much when in such big seas. I will admit, though, I was up this morning, a little past five, checking my email. Lucky for me, two emails came in. I was glad to see that all is well and hoping, for the Bobs sake, that they have a day or two to make some ground east.

Meanwhile, we are down to less than 24 hours until departure and still loads to do. As I am writing this we are travelling back from Block Island following a wonderful visit with cruising friend Virginia. We had a fantastic trip and really enjoyed Block Island. There was even a fiber mill across the road from our Inn and we were able to take a tour. I was realistic enough to realize that I will not have time to knit any time soon, so I did not buy more yarn, but it was great fun to see all the fiber and the machines that clean and color and make it into batts, cones, and skeins. There is a small animal farm there and the kids were able to pet a kangaroo and get really close to two huge camels.

The shops and restaurants were interesting without being out-of-reach for the main stream and we ate more that we could conceivably fit into our stomachs. Virginia showed us the channel to enter the Great Salt Pond so that we will know where to come next year on our way north.  We can’t wait!  -Kim

 

Hi Everyone,

 Again, we are fine but it has been a trying day for us.

Last night after dealing with round one of the storm yesterday the wind died and we motored (trying to ease the dreaded sail slap) until just before dawn when the wind came back in from the south.  Grandpa got me up early so we could reef the main.  Sure enough within a few hours we were in lots of wind again.  I decided to furl the storm jib and Grandpa who had been standing on the cockpit ladder jumped (without his jacket and harness) up to help.  He meant well but was holding the sheet so hard I could not furl.  The noise was deafening and I was basically screaming at Grandpa to let the line go so I could overcome the force of the wind.  The more I yelled the more he held.  This was a low point for both of us.  I yelled at him like one yells at a child who is going to get hurt.  You mean it to protect but it comes out all wrong.  We both feel like crap about it.

Grandpa went down below to rest and I sailed until the winds started reaching 30 kts and called it quits and hove to.  We both rested down below and within a couple of hours the winds abated and the sun came out.  While enjoying some soup in the cockpit the wind shifted dramatically so we started sailing again.  At first we were saying we should add sail and then we said we have just the right amount of sail and then we started decreasing and then we were hove to for round three of this damn storm.  In retrospect I think we had been in some sort of eye of the hurricane remnant.  This third round is the most vicious and we have been lying in north winds averaging 35 kts for hours and the seas are the worst of the trip so far.  At the peak the boat went spinning out of control while we were down below.  We rushed out to deal with it amid screaming winds and violent seas.  The wheel had been lashed in the hove-to position but somehow we had swung off the wind and jibed and were rounding up on the other tack.  As quickly as I could I untied the rudder and tried to get us hove-to on the new tack.  The rudder felt strange to me and I couldn't understand what had happened.  We assumed the steering had failed (one of my biggest fears).  We pulled out the emergency tiller and tried to steady things up as much as one could in these conditions.  You don't know if it will keep intensifying.   The winds were well above what was forecasted already.  So we retreated back down below again and tried to rest which was impossible because we thought our steering was broken.  After a restless nap and hours of 35 kt winds the wind backed down into the high 20's.  I couldn't stand it anymore so I went in the aft cabin and tore through all the bags and sails and crap to pull up the mattress and check out the steering gear.  I found nothing wrong.  I came back out in the main cabin and had a discussion with Grandpa about the situation.  We ran through theories and scenarios and options.  We also noticed that we were not really hove-to but were sailing forward at around 2.5 kts.  Again this made us think we had a problem.  The wind was down to the mid 20's so we put on our suits and went out to play with the steering.  We found that the emergency tiller could be moved further to the lee and that the rudder seemed to respond.  I even went out on the swim platform to try and observe the rudder.  Looking out across the expanse of frothy/mountainous seas from "outside" the boat is impossible to describe.  We also found that there is a fair bit of play in the tiller and so the wheel seems screwed up but we think it is OK.  In retrospect my latest theory is that in the 35+ kt winds and huge steep waves and cut away keel at the bow allowed the bow to get blown down a wave and the rudder lost its grip.  It went far enough that the wind got control and we spun and jibed.  So the good news is we think the steering is OK but the bad news is that we can't fully trust heaving-to in heavy weather.  In the meantime we would like to sail but the seas are so big we are afraid to try and come about so we are going to try and be patient and let the seas diminish a bit.

In the bigger picture we have lost lots of time between calms, storms, counter currents, and repairs and this leg of the trip is really testing us.  I am two days behind my most conservative guesses for our progression since we left Flores.  We also see another storm chasing us that looks to be the biggest yet.  I guess this is just how it is going to be for us.

Early this morning I was thinking about fear and storms.  I think for me the scary part is not at the peak but nearer the beginning when it is building but you don't know what it will become.  It is also the stage where you are still sailing and trying to make progress but you know you will soon be faced with the decision to reduce sail and the question of will you do it soon enough and thoroughly enough etc.  This morning while up in the cockpit alone during this process of the storm building I found myself shaking.  The same thing happens when I see a big fish so I think part of it is what happens when adrenaline starts running in your veins and you have no outlet.  You see that in hunting dogs that are just about to be let loose...they quiver all over.  Of-course after the rush of adrenaline you become exhausted.  As I am writing this the wind is once again increasing back into the 30's and I am getting anxious about it and starting to shake...damn it.  Kim and I said part of what this trip is for us is to get out of our comfort zone and learn to deal with it....well I am way out of that zone at this moment.

Hopefully this will pass soon and allow us to turn and continue on our way or at least in a direction roughly towards Ireland.

Grandpa made dinner...gruel (oatmeal) and coffee!  He is also doing the dishes.  I think I am learning how Kim must feel.  I am one lazy bastard when it comes to meals and dishes.  I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

So, here is our current position. (Actually losing ground now that we are on the wrong tack while hove-to)

19:50 UTC

45 42 N

28 15 W

Wind 22-31 kts out of the Northwest

Hove to on starboard tack

Seas...just nasty...I can never estimate how big they are.

Hoping for a better day tomorrow,

Bob and Bob

*******************************
 


Good morning,

Strong squalls came in yesterday and I decided I didn't want to risk the equipment so sorry I didn't make contact.  We stayed hove-to all night on the wrong tack and lost 25-30 miles over the past 24 hrs.  We are sailing again this morning and now worried about the next storm.  I will download a new chart shortly but it looks like we need to get ourselves north again.  This passage is turning into a true war for us.

The sun is out now and we are moving again so that is good.

Current position:

8:11 UTC

45º 38’ N

28º 13’ W

Course 20 True

spd 6+ kts

Wind 15-20 from west northwest

Seas 10-15 feet estimate...large leftover crap from yesterday

 

Bob and Bob

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment