Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 198 - Almost Here

We are all relieved to hear that Midwatch has finally broken free of the rotten, stormy weather. I don't think any of us can understand the extent of the demoralization a week and a half of stormy weather can produce but we sure are glad they are cheering up and looking forward to arriving here in Ireland. We will make it to Crosshaven, the harbor near Cork where they will be coming in, tomorrow and we are looking forward to checking out the marina before they arrive.

We are still greatly enjoying our stay here in Ireland. We travelled a long way south today and will visit the Dingle Peninsula tomorrow before making our way to Cork. I also was able to visit a woolen mill today and was happy. Anna bought some yarn and has started knitting a hat in Midwatch colors. Like me, she is very ambitious, she wants to make four hats. Hopefully she will not disappoint herself! 

Hi Everyone,

Well it feels like we are on the home stretch now, about 280nm to the dock as the crow flies.  Grandpa has renewed vigor, I caught him hand steering with too much sail trying to coax more speed out of the old girl.  Apparently he had her up over seven knots for nearly his whole three hour shift.  He is now curled up on the settee under two sleeping bags.  I just started the heater.  Looks like some sun so I am hoping I can heat the cabin and maybe it will hold through the day…probably wishful thinking.

I received some nice emails from Kim that they are enjoying Ireland...made me feel good.  Grandpa is still bitter about the Azores miss and says he could give a crap about Europe.  I am not gonna win that battle!

It looks like we will have fair winds for the rest of the trip with the exception of some possible calm periods.  We have a bit of diesel that we can put to work if needed.  I see from the charts that I had better save some for getting into the harbor.  It also looks like there will be tidal currents to contend with as we get near shore...o boy!

Still trying to eat all the food Kim stocked in the fridge.  It is getting down now but we are in no danger of starving.  We ran the engine through a calm yesterday which topped up the batteries and gave us hot water for showers.  The tank still reads 3/4s of a tank of water so we don't feel like we need to be so stingy anymore.

The cabin is gross.  The heavy seas we wallowed in for days worked salt water into many places that I didn't know it could.  I think we will have to remove everything from the boat and wash and dry etc.  This will be a big job.  I will also need to try and work on as many leaks as I can find and will be sure to put everything I possibly can in plastic bags before another offshore trip like this one.

The salt on deck and in the cockpit is hard to describe.  A thorough rinsing is definitely in order.  Nothing seems to dry anymore.  Our foul weather gear has turned white and stiff and is cold and clammy but we love it.  We paid what felt like a lot of money for this stuff but it was worth it.  Rubber boots are indispensable.

I am  really looking forward to seeing land.  I want to sit in the grass and smell the dirt.  Somewhere in a hollow where the sun gets in but the wind can't reach me.  I still don't miss concrete or cars!

Grandpa can't sit very well but not because of his Sciatic (sp?) nerve thing, that has been fine.  A couple days ago he was dorking around trying to hang up his wet foul weather gear down below.  The boat took a great roll and he lost his grip and flew backward across the boat and hit his a-- on a board or something.  He keeps asking me to look and see how big the black and blue is.  “No thanks, take some Ibuprofen and show Grandma in a couple days!"

Location:
               10:30 UTC
               51 03 N
               15 33 W
              Course 86 Degrees True
              speed 5-5.5kts
              Wind NW 11-14 kts
              Full Main, Full Genoa, Broad Reach with Otto at the helm, pretty nice!

Bob and Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment