Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 190 - Weathering the Storm

Anna went to church on Sunday morning with my Mom and Dad and the minister's sermon was on crossing oceans and having faith. 'Walking on water' stuff. Near the end of the sermon she came over and stood next to Anna and talked about 'Anna's Dad' crossing the Ocean and the faith that it requires to take such a leap. Anna was so excited to come home and tell me about it!  We had studied the word 'Faith' last fall when we read the book The Little Island, and it was a great way to reinforce the lesson. As the kids and I sit in luxury on Block Island visiting with cruising-friend Virginia, Bob and Bob are fighting the remnants of a tropical storm. It hardly seems fair and yet all is well. I have faith that Bob will tackle any situation with skill and common sense and we will meet again on the far side.  We chose this course and it does take a 'leap of faith' to cross an ocean...and for that matter, to take a trip down I-95.
 
Hi everyone,

First off...we are doing just fine right now.

When I left off yesterday I took a nap during Grandpa's afternoon watch.  According to the weather map he was supposed to have painfully slow near calm conditions.   Instead he had winds 16-22 kts with great angry black but isolated squalls to dodge.  He did a great job tacking back and forth to avoid them.  He woke me near the end of his watch and I helped us sneak between the last two squalls for the evening.  I spent my 6-9 p.m. watch working my way upwind to try and get us north to minimize the impact of the storm to hit on Monday morning. Passed within a mile and a half of a large ship headed East.   We kept moving until my second watch at midnight when the wind effectively died.  I started the engine and we motored on till morning to recharge the batteries and continue getting ourselves to the north.

Grandpa woke me up just before 6.  He was a miserable sight to see.  A cold misty rain had developed and he had just sat in it and let it consume him.  I was a bit upset because I wanted him to save himself for the storm yet to come.  There wasn't much point in staying outside in the cockpit the entire time while we were motoring...not to mention he soaked my mittens!  I think he equates sitting on watch to deer hunting...I just don't see the point of getting soaked until it’s necessary which wouldn't be too long with the weather forecast we have.

Anyway, I took over watch at 6 and the wind began to fill in at our backs.  Soon I had the engine off and we were sailing again in 5 - 6 kts.  Not long after though, the wind began to build and, knowing what was coming today, I wanted to get the big main double-reefed ASAP!  I had to open the hatch and wake up Grandpa who was snug under the covers.  He didn't complain though and got back into his soaked gear and came out and helped us get reefed.  Once Midwatch was in order he retreated to his bunk and I got the old girl moving again under double reefed main and working jib.  The rain came in with a vengeance and so did the wind.  I ran the best angle I could about (315º True) for a couple of hours with ever building wind (22-27kts) and seas.   Then the wind shifted dramatically and I was able to veer to a north heading.  Interestingly the sun came out and it was actually quite nice.  The wind and waves, however, continued to build.  About 9:00 PM Grandpa came back on deck.  We decided we would try three hour watches day and night until the storm was behind us.  Grandpa took over and I went below to prep for more wind (putting loose articles in more safe places), closing any unnecessary thru-hulls valves and made breakfast (last of the eggs though I saved one to make brownies).

The waves continued to build and Otto our autopilot decided he was ready for a break and gave up.  That put Grandpa at the helm for the next hour or so.  I have decided that Grandpa is what you would call "a lake sailor".  He is in the habit of using points on the shoreline to steer for.  Unfortunately that does not work here and he has a tough time with it.  In retrospect perhaps I should have made him hand steer for a half hour at the beginning of every watch but that didn't happen.  After his hour at the wheel I sent him down below to get more rest and settled myself in at the wheel.  When Otto let go we furled the working jib so we were running under double reefed main alone.

As the seas continued to build, I think adrenaline kept my mind super active trying to anticipate the next step.  Couldn't help but think about movie quotes like "she's comin' on boys...she's comin' on real strong" or" we're really in it now".  

The next step I figured I would need to make would be to round-up and heave-to into the wind...the question is when?  For now I was making great time towards our destination and away from the main path of the storm.  If the waves get too big it becomes a really hairy maneuver to try and turn the boat approximately 180º and come to a stop.  Fortunately I never had to make the decision...with no warning the wind nearly stopped, but off the port bow I could see a wicked wind coming but from a different angle so I squared up to it and decided I didn't want to dance with it so I came about and parked like a duck with its head under its wing.  Within moments we were laid over with 35kt winds.  Midwatch took it but I don't think she liked it.  I retreated down below with Grandpa.  We watched the anemometer for a while and took seasickness medication just in case.  I closed another thru-hull and chose to melt into the port settee rather than listen to the wind scream and watch the portholes go under water.  When I woke an hour later the winds had backed down to the 20's and now they are all the way down to 15 with gusts to 20 or so.

Grandpa and I discussed the situation at length.  I decided to get more data before trying to make a move and Grandpa took his turn at the bunk.  It looks as though it might become nearly calm tonight in our location and then flair up with winds in the mid 30's again tomorrow (Round Two)!  The rain has just set in again and we are so comfortable that I am hard pressed to want to get back into pushing Midwatch through these giant waves with not enough wind power, so for now we stay put.

 Current Location:
               17:30 UTC
               44 59 N
               28 37 W
               Wind 19kts out of the northeast
               Waves (really big)
               spd 2.2 kts
                    Hove-to on starboard tack facing West
               Course moving slowly to the south west

Thanks for the clear, concise storm report from Ted LaDue, as our friend John Woodworth (pilot) always says "you really need to visualize the BIG PICTURE".

I am able to get very detailed but fairly localized weather info but I haven't learned how to look at the big picture with the technology I have.  So again thanks Ted and Kim as well.

FYI, we still have lots of water and food.  Diesel is only being used for carefully thought out situations.

Power with our new wind generator is a non-issue with the winds we have today.

Showers and clean laundry...not-so-much!

Have a great day,

Bob and Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment