Monday, January 20, 2014

Lagoon 44

Midwatch 1-20-14 10:07 AM EST

I had a very special sunrise watch this morning. Finn joined me while everyone else slept. We listened to Peter Paul and Mary singing Puff the Magic Dragon and Blowin' in the Wind while we chatted. Finn asked very interesting questions like. "Do other people have cleft lips and palates?" and "Why does your wife not know how to sharpen knifes?" I must have made a comment while trying to clean fish the other day about dull knifes etc. Kim says I need to watch what I say around Finn. I don't buy it, how else is he going to learn the important stuff! As per Finn's orders we set the fishing line. 

We were sailing a broad reach under Big Blue alone. This sail gives such a cushy ride. There were squalls nearby and we were trying to dodge them. The total scene was probably as close as I have ever been or ever will be to a religious experience. 

We saw a light last night and when the sun came up we could see sails. Mark, who I think actually likes radios, hailed them a few minutes ago. They were a group of 3 on a Lagoon 44 (big ass catamaran) originally from Australia. They left the Canaries the day after us. Our take on that was that we are doing reasonably well with our passage because a boat like that should have passed us days ago. 
Lagoon 44

It is hot today, 87 Degrees in the cabin. We set up our shade system in the cockpit and also set out the genoa on the pole so we are running wing and wing making around 6 kts directly for Martinique. We are making a bigger effort to keep our boat speed up so we have a better chance of getting Mark on his plane next weekend. We kept Big Blue up all last night even though there were squalls about. It made for a little more anxiety for our watches but we also made a lot more miles. Cushy ones at that. This sail practically lifts the boat out of the water and gently bounces you along. When not on watch I slept better than I have in weeks. 

making pizza dough in 4 m swells
Today is pizza day again. I stay clear of course but it looks to be a big project. There has been lots of talk about the cooking and

who should do it and what the optimal system would be for a passage. I think after the many thousands of miles I have done that I am squarely in my Dad's camp. Buy a boat load of those military meals where you just add hot water. Make your own (what you want and when you want) and only complain to yourself. I am pretty sure Dad and I are on our own in this camp but we are, except in rare exceptions, RIGHT.
 

Current Postion: 
14:28 UTC 
14 Degrees 41.615 N 
50 Degrees 53.101 W 
Course 268 True 
Wind 15 kts Sunny and hot with scattered squalls
Big Blue and Genoa pulliing us at 6 kts 

Bob, Kim, Anna, Finn and Mark

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your adventures...especially love your, uhm, honest perspective, 'grin'. I had been wondering how you were doing in the somewhat iffy weather too, so glad you wrote about that. Ken and Evie, S/V Harmony

    ReplyDelete