Sunday, January 19, 2014

First Mate Checks In

Midwatch 1-19-14 11:10 AM EST

Hi All,

Kim here. I had an exciting watch last night with a squall and a clocking wind*  which finally allowed us to point the bow in the right direction. I ended up calling Bob up early before his watch and we jibed the boat before I finally retired to the back bedroom. There were still plenty of choppy seas so it was difficult to go to sleep but when I finally did, I really slept. I finally woke up about 11:45 UTC, 15 minutes before the start of my next watch only to find that Bob and Anna were also still sleeping. Apparently the time change caught up to us all at once. Mark and Finn had been keeping each other entertained in the cockpit. Mark made a great breakfast of pancakes and we ate and watched rows of squalls coming at our starboard quarter. We are still having some trouble with Big Blue but cruising along between 5 and 5.5 knots under the Genoa alone. 

We are all beginning to talk of our arrival, details on anchoring, customs and flights to catch as well as snorkeling and French pastries. 713 miles is still a long way to go but at least it feels like we are going downhill. 

We are almost on the same latitude as Martinique.  The boat gets quite stuffy and warm when we cannot have the hatches open. Everyone likes to stay up in the cockpit. The seas have been quite rough so working in the cabin is uncomfortable and still makes me feel slightly off.  I'll be happy to arrive, have a good nights sleep and attack the accumulated grime and debris that has accumulated. 

Current Position at 15:34 UTC 
14º 39.095' N
48º 41.561' W

Kim 

* Clocking Wind:   meaning the wind direction moves clockwise. The west wind clocked around to the northwest.

1 comment:

  1. I've been watching the weather and wondering how you were doing. I am finally making time to catch up. Love reading your blog, and it finally occurred to me that if I don't comment, you may not know it is being enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete