Thursday, November 21, 2013

Finn’s Day on the Town in Nazaré, Portugal


Drying out
 
Tired of cleaning the boat, we grabbed a backpack and a soccer ball and we walked along the harbor front to the beach.  This is one monster beach!  Anna and I kicked the soccer ball down the beach and then played goalie while Dad took shots at us.  There are soccer goals on this beach.

Mom went off on her own to Vodafone to try to get us safe internet.  We tired of soccer and went across the street to a store that sold balls.  A little while later mom showed up with the money and we bought three spider man balls to put in our Dorade vents when we sail off-shore so we don’t “fire-hose” the inside of the boat again.

High-tech Dorade plugs
 
Then we walked up the street and found a bakery and we sat down and ate some tasty treats.  I had a doughnut.  Anna had a chocolate thing.  Dad had some kind of mini coffee thing and mom had fresh-squeezed orange juice.

Next we walked a little further to the giant indoor market place.  They have many many local vendors selling all kinds of fresh foods.  We bought grapes, bananas, potatoes, clementines, bread, cheese, and meats.

I was after fish!  The Portuguese are great fisherman and there was a huge display of fish.  We met a Portuguese lady fishmonger who recognized that I had a cleft.  Her granddaughter has a cleft too.  She showed me her picture.  The lady could not speak English but we knew what she meant.

I asked the lady for some fish.  She gave me four Sardinia (Sardines) and I didn’t have to pay.  They were a gift to me because she liked me.

My fish!
We took a bus back to Midwatch.

We cut the fish up on the swim platform.

Mom cooked them.

I ate them and they were good.

Anna ate two tails and she said they were crunchy like potato chips.




The End




1 comment: