Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Midwatch 12-4-13 The One That Got Away

For those of you that are tired of hearing about how hard the sailing is over
here on the other side of the Atlantic...this one's for you.

As we rounded Lanzarote the wind eased as predicted and the sun brought the
temps up into the 70's.  The kids spent all day running around the deck which is a welcome change for them.

Kim and I are in recovery mode.  I ate 4 fried eggs with cheese on top and 3
pieces of bacon with juice and coffee for lunch and Kim slept much of the
afternoon.

In the early afternoon the wind died almost completely and it is forecast to
remain virtually flat calm for days so on went the engine.  Finn and Mom took a nap while Anna and Dad fussed around in the cockpit.  We were visited by a pod of Spotted Dolphins. 

Earlier in the day Finn had declared that it was time to put the big fishing rods back into action.  As the day wore on I thought "Boy, Finn is right,it's looking real fishy around here."  I selected a nice new cedar plug and tied it on to my heavy jigging rod rigged with lots of braided line.  It was probably two hours before dark when I finally got it set.  I jigged it back and forth for a few minutes hoping for a hit and then set it in the holder.  We had dinner and I was down in the galley doing dishes and Kim was in the cockpit drying when all of a sudden she started hollering "Fish-on!"  It was nearly dark when I made the dash for the rod.  I had set the drag on the light side and when I moved the rod around to the stern and tightened the drag I knew I was into a good one.  Fortunately with no wind Kim could put the boat into neutral and we slowed right down to a crawl.  The first run was a screamer.  I don't know how many yards of line are on that spool but I ended up cranking the drag down as much as I could stand and he never slowed down then just when I thought I better holler for a knife he stopped. We fought up and down for almost two miles as recorded on the GPS.  The water
here is 10,000 feet deep.  He came up a few times but we never saw him.  The
line parted at the swivel at the two hour mark.  I was almost glad.  My arms are not going to work tomorrow.  He was by far the heaviest fish I have ever
battled.  We are guessing giant tuna and I think he will be a little sore
tomorrow as well.

It was a surreal environment with the flat sea, lights of Lanzarote in the
distance and stars and moon.

Incidentally, when I pulled the line in it was covered in jelly fish guts which stung my hands and chest.

Anna drew a picture of me battling the fish with sweat raining down all around me.

Thinking Anna's next book shall be "The Old Man and the Sea".

Finn has selected a giant double hooked Sluggo as tomorrows bait of choice.

We still have 80 miles of motoring to reach Las Palmas on Gran Canaria so we
will definitely have some fishing time in the morning.


Have a good night,


Bob, Kim, Anna and Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment